Thursday, March 19, 2015

How Do I Choose The Correct Crochet Hook?

Oh my!  There are so many hooks to choose from, where do I start?  That is great question!  Deciding on the correct hook you need depends on several factors, like the size, the brand, the material, the feel, what you like and more!  In this blog post I am explain what goes into picking the correct hook!

 
First off, if you have a project in mind then you will need that particular hook size the pattern calls for, but if you are just going to be practicing your stitches until you feel comfortable I would recommend picking one of these hooks: I (5.5mm), J (6mm) or K (6.5mm).  When picking the hook you need, most will have 3 pieces of information on the hook telling you what size it is, which are the Millimeter, Letter and Number.  
 
Here is a Crochet Hook Size Chart to Help You: 
Millimeter:................................Size:
2.25 mm..................................B-1
2.75 mm.................................C-3
3.25 mm.................................D-3
3.5 mm...................................E-4
3.75 mm.................................F-5
4 mm......................................G-6
4.5 mm................................7
5 mm......................................H-8
5.5 mm..................................I-9
6 mm.......................................J-10
6.5 mm.........................................K-10 1/2
8 mm.....................................L-11
9 mm.........................................M/N-13
10 mm.....................................N/P-15
15 mm................................P/Q
16 mm............................Q
19 mm...........................S
 
 
Now you have picked the size, which material of hook do you pick?
You want a hook that doesn't make your hand sweat (I know, gross right) or cramp, you want something that feels comfortable and natural.  Most of the time you will find hooks that are metal, plastic, wooden, metal with wooden handles, metal with rubber handles or there are even plastic ones that light up!!  If you are just starting out, depending on your budget, you could pick up a hook in the size you need in all the different types of materials and give it a try on a simple project and see what feels the best for you.  You want something your hand likes, if you become a crochet addict, like most of us crocheters, you will want to crochet all day long, and with crocheting all day long, you want it to be fun, you want the hook to become an extension of your hand. 
 
I use to crochet with just metal hooks and if I crocheted a lot that day then at night when I went to bed my crochet hand would cramp horribly.  It was making some days of crocheting not fun and crochet is NOT suppose to cause you pain, so I recommend finding a hook brand your hands just love!!!   
 
What do I love?
I love working with big hooks (K and bigger), but not every project I can use a big hook for, so I needed to find a compromise with the little hooks and my hand not cramping.  I discovered metal hooks with a wooden/bamboo handle and these have become my favorite to work with, because it is tricking my hand into thinking I have a big hook and I really don't.   
 

So Since Spring is Here I wanted to have a Crochet Hook Giveaway!  I am giving away 4 Bates Bamboo Crochet Hooks to one lucky winner!  

 
 
Winner will be Announced Saturday, March 28th
  

 
a Rafflecopter giveaway

31 comments:

  1. I've recently gotten back into crocheting so I'm still searching for the perfect one for me! I've had less pain though since I started using hooks with grips on them! :) - Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently purchased one with the wooden handle because you like them so much I thought I should try and it does definitely help with hand cramps

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love following you! I just snapped my B hook in half this past week and had to replace it. Now I am looking into new brands. I love Boye but not happy with the small ones. These look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite have to be the ergonomic hooks by Festival Hands

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently received a Clover Amour hook and I have to say.....I'm kinda in love with it!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby got me Clover Amour hooks recently, and they are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been using Boye Hooks but with a polymer clay handle, less pain in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My current favorite is the Clover Armor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love my crochet dude and wooden handled hooks! I love my bamboo (yes only one!) during peewee football practice because it is so hot the metal ones get hard and squeaky to work with! Love your blog, fb page/group and patterns! Thanks for the giveaways!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like boys hooks. My favorite size is J.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favourite hooks are Addi Swing :) they are really comfortable to hold and feel like they mould into your hand. Really comfy to use especially if your doing a long session :) I find I rarely suffer pain when using these hooks. Luckily they are available in most sizes, from the very small (known as Addi Swing Fine) to the fairly large.


    They don't go as high as I'd like, so there are a few sizes I can't get. After lots if research I'm treating myself to some lovely custom hooks from HeartSprinkle in the sizes Addi Swing don't do.

    I love my hooks and I find having these supportive hooks helps me to crochet, as I already have health problems and struggle with my hands hooks with a good handle is a must for me.

    Thanks for sharing what you use :) I'd love the chance to win and try these, I've never seen them before (it could be because I'm in the UK).

    Rosie (aks bedcrafter)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope this isn't a duplicate....I love my new Tulip Gold Tip steel hooks from Japan. I use crochet thread on many of my projects & my old hooks were starting to catch on the thread. I love to make doilies & just about anything out of thread. I use the 1.5mm hook the most!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So far I think my favorite is my clover Armour and Sick 'Lil Monkey's bubble hooks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to see if these are easier to use than just the small metal hooks. i broke my right humerus in a car accident 6 weeks ago and it jarred my radial nerve so i have to mostly crochet with my left hand while just holding the hook still in my right hand. i sure hope my radial nerve wakes up tho cause i'm so slow crocheting this way :/ but its a love i can't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Right now my favorite hooks are the clover amour, problem is that the way I hold my hooks has started to wear on the side in the grip. I do love bamboo because it is nice and light and I have wanted to try the hooks being given away but I never find them in my travels.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! My fave hooks are Knitter's Pride WAVES crochet hooks. I'd love to try these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I only use Boye hooks. I have some that have custom handles from Sick Lil Monkeys too that I love!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not super picky, but i think I prefer boye hooks. Out of my covered hooks, I adore the super thick ones I have from Mimi's Crochet Corner. They help a ton with hand cramps and carpal tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love crocheting, it keeps me busy and sane

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have always used the Boye hooks

    ReplyDelete
  22. My favorites are Boye hooks, I've always used them!

    kimberlybreid at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love a size h hook from furls because I can't afford them & I have ra

    ReplyDelete
  24. My most favorite is my size H Bates hook.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I currently use boye, but i havent discovered a favorite yet.

    ReplyDelete